The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition seeks a paid, part-time Communications Intern to support efforts around Open Streets this summer, as well as other areas. The position is for an average of 10-15 hours per week from late June to late September, depending on the ideal candidate’s schedule. The Communications Intern will work under the direct supervision of the Development and Communications Coordinator and collaborate with other staff and volunteers.
The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition inspires people to bicycle and advocates for a city where everyone feels comfortable riding. The Coalition uses the joy and broad public benefits of bicycling to engage, empower, and mobilize grassroots and grasstops support for bicycle improvements. Our events this summer include eight Open Streets Minneapolis events, as well as bike rides and other community events.
Responsibilities of the Planning Intern include:
Managing social media outreach around Open Streets Minneapolis;
Assisting in advertising Open Streets Minneapolis in the community;
Writing at least one blog post a week highlighting the work of the Coalition;
Performing administrative, clerical, and other duties as directed.
Experience and Qualifications
- At least finished with junior year of undergraduate work in marketing, communications, or other relevant field;
- Strong interest in building skills around communications and marketing work;
- Ability to work as part of a team and follow through with tasks;
- Professional communication skills; and
- Proficient computer skills including social networking sites, word processing.
- Knowledge of Minneapolis;
- Some previous work or internship experience in advocacy, marketing, communications, or related work;
- Strong interest in making Minneapolis more bicycle friendly for everyone;
- Graphic design skills; and
- Skilled with Google Apps.
Wage and other Benefits
The wage range for this internship is $8 - $10 per hour, depending on experience and skills. The intern will work alongside and learn from the Coalition’s staff and volunteer leaders.
Work will primarily be done at the Coalition’s office, but will include some meetings and events outside of the office, primarily at locations in Minneapolis.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
We are an equal opportunity employer; women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. You are strongly encouraged to submit your application by June 14th, 2015.