The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition is an advocacy organization that works to make Minneapolis a place where everyone feels comfortable riding, and is the host of Minneapolis Bike Week and Open Streets Minneapolis events. Open Streets Mpls events close major city corridors to cars to open them up to pedestrians and cyclists to reimagine their city streets. The goals of Open Streets Mpls events are to grow community connections and pride, inspire healthy living, stimulate local business, promote active transportation, and celebrate the diversity of Minneapolis. This internship will support businesses, organizations, and neighbors plug into Open Streets Mpls events and connect with each other for long-term investment in their neighborhoods.
Primary Responsibilities of Position:
- Conduct door-to-door outreach to businesses, organizations and neighbors along Open Streets Minneapolis routes to encourage day-of involvement & planning participation
- Recruit day-of Open Streets volunteers through phone and in-person engagement
- Organize, train and manage crews of volunteers for outreach & engagement as possible
- Support event day preparations including material assembly and communications
- Run a volunteer activity or connect with partners to run the social media campaign on event days
Additional Projects Depending on Interest, Skill and Availability:
- Support a specific neighborhood immigrant or native community in shaping and participating in one of the Open Streets Minneapolis events
- Work with Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition’s Open Streets planning volunteers to create and implement engaging activities at relevant Open Streets Minneapolis events
- Assist with Open Streets Mpls event programming or mapping logistics
- Host monthly volunteer nights and events to foster community
- Support the Bike Buddies initiative to encourage new riders
Schedule and Commitment:
This position is Full Time (40hrs/wk) running from May 2nd - October 14th. Start and finish dates are somewhat flexible. Weekly breakdown of activities include:
40-50% organizing outreach crews and conducting door-to-door outreach
15-25% recruiting event day volunteers
10-15% preparations for event-day
5-25% leading event day activities
30% additional chosen outreach, volunteer or programming project
- $8-12hr depending on experience and skills
- Gain outreach, event planning, communications and volunteer coordination experience
- Expand your network and connections with local businesses, organizations and city officials.
- Work with a supportive team in a growing advocacy organization!
- Enjoys meeting and talking with many people; is positive and outgoing
- Able to be on time and work some evenings and weekends each month
- Utilizes prompt and professional communication skills
- Interested in bikes, community building, advocacy, transportation, health, or the environment
- Bilingual in English -and- Spanish, Somali, Oromo -or- Amharic (preferred)
- Has a High School Diploma or GED (preferred)
Send your Resume, a brief description of why you are interested in the position to Beth Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your application by Sunday, April 17th, 2015.