May 14th 2021
Contact: [email protected]
Our Streets Minneapolis seeks a Communications Specialist who is passionate about our work to create a city where biking, walking, and rolling are easy and comfortable for everyone. We are looking for a person who can tell the story of Our Streets Minneapolis and work alongside our advocacy and development teams to share our cause and connect with communities across the city and state.
About Our Streets Minneapolis
Our Streets Minneapolis envisions a city where biking, walking, and rolling are equitable, easy, and joyful for people of all backgrounds and identities in all parts of Minneapolis. Our work is rooted in anti-oppression and creating spaces that support and welcome all identities, meaning all genders, races, religions, abilities, orientations, etc. We work to prioritize the voices of people and communities historically left out of the transportation decision making process.
Our Streets Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer with a focus on creating safer spaces for our employees. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, people with disabilities, transgender people, nonbinary people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please send a resume, cover letter and writing sample (see below) to [email protected]. Your resume should include any relevant paid or unpaid experience and education and skills. We’re interested in getting to know you, so please use your cover letter to introduce yourself and share your interest in Our Streets Minneapolis as well as any relevant experience that you believe could contribute to your success in this role.
Writing Sample Instructions
We’d like to see your writing style and approach to storytelling as well as a demonstration of your understanding of Our Streets Minneapolis’ communications style and advocacy campaigns. This prompt does not require any research or prior knowledge of our work and is intended to take 20 minutes or less to complete. Please do not include graphics or images of any kind.
Prompt: In 250 words or less, please write a press release announcing our County Streets for People campaign.
Position responsibilities and qualifications
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Manage and create content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Create and send biweekly email newsletter
- Edit and publish blog posts
- Maintain websites
- Use NationBuilder CRM (Customer Relationship Management software) to coordinate all organizational communications
- Create and send press releases
- Facilitate interviews
- Manage relationships with media
- Basic graphic design using Canva
- Manage graphic design projects with outside consultants
- Act as organizational content creator using the Our Streets Minneapolis style guide
- Prepare annual report
- Take out print and digital ads to promote our work
- Manage vendor relationships, including contractors
- Order and keep inventory of organizational merchandise and promotional materials
- Staff Our Streets Minneapolis events, serving in an outreach role
- Manage relevant budgets
- Perform other duties as needed
Skills and qualifications
Basic skills and qualifications
- A demonstrated commitment to working towards justice and equity, particularly within marginalized communities, in alignment with our Safer Spaces policy and equity commitments
- Passionate about community outreach and activism
- Experience creating communications that advance an organization’s mission
- Experience or familiarity with branding and style guides
- Proficiency in Google Apps
- Ability to work several outdoor events on weekends, including all Open Streets Minneapolis events
- Ability to work some evenings
- Meet all criteria specified in Work Conditions section below
Preferred skills and qualifications
- Experience designing print materials, social media graphics, and/or merchandise
- Experience or familiarity with website design
- Proficiency in Spanish, Somali, Oromo, or Hmong
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and/or NationBuilder
- Experience with Facebook ads and marketing
- Experience working with volunteers
Position will be open until filled. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Application review will begin on Monday, May 24th.
About the Communications Specialist position
Pay & benefits
The Communications Specialist will be a salaried, exempt position expected to work 40 hours per week. Starting annual salary for this position will be $40,000 to $45,000 depending on experience.
We offer a generally flexible work schedule, except for required events and meetings.
Our benefits package includes paid time off, health insurance reimbursement, retirement contribution matching, partial cell phone reimbursement, transit and bike share allowance, and bike/walk to work credit.
Our Streets Minneapolis staff are currently working remotely due to risks posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. During this time the Communications Specialist will need to work from home using personal wifi.
All Our Streets Minneapolis staff are required to have a smartphone.
Once it is safe, the Communications Specialist will work out of the Our Streets Minneapolis office in downtown Minneapolis, and at local community events within Minneapolis.
The Our Streets Minneapolis staff is a small team that works in an open plan office. The Communications Specialist will report to the Executive Director and work closely with all other staff members.
This position involves working at outdoor events which includes the following requirements:
- Ability to transport themselves to and from events across Minneapolis
- Ability to sit or stand outside for up to nine hours at community events in all weather conditions from May through October
- Ability to go up and down one flight of stairs to reach our office
- Ability to lift 25 pounds to move equipment for events