At our December meeting, members of the Pedestrian Work Group reflected on 2018 and identified some of our successes over the past year. These included:
- The involvement and commitment of our Pedestrian Work Group members
Progress on our winter sidewalk maintenance campaign:
- Engagement at Open Streets Minneapolis events on pedestrian issues, especially learning more about what people want for winter sidewalks.
- Conversations with Minneapolis City Council Members around winter sidewalks.
- Focus and extended conversation around winter sidewalks at the City’s Transportation and Public Works Committee.
- Language around winter sidewalks included in Mpls 2040, the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Significant media coverage around the need to clear winter sidewalks of snow and ice.
The Pedestrian Work Group also identified some top priorities for 2019. These included:
- Building volunteer leadership for this work group.
- One to two specific street projects where pedestrian issues are a priority. These projects are to be determined after learning more about the City’s planned projects for this year.
- Continuing the winter sidewalk maintenance campaign, and seeing real change for the way people can get around who walk or roll as their mode of transportation.
- Engagement and advocacy with the City’s ADA Plan, Vision Zero Plan, and Transportation Action Plan.
Would you like to join the Pedestrian Work Group? Find more information and sign up here!