We are hiring a paid, full-time Outreach and Community Engagement Intern to support efforts on Open Streets Minneapolis events, and Bikeways for Everyone campaign and other areas. Apply by May 22.
The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition works to make Minneapolis a better place for bicycling in all corners of the city. This internship seeks to advance the Bikeways for Everyone campaign goal of 30 new miles of protected bikeways in Minneapolis by 2020, and to support planning Open Streets events. Through community outreach and engagement, this position will help increase the number of voices heard in our advocacy efforts and show elected officials a strong community support for investing in improved bicycle infrastructure, in addition to helping us have Open Streets events that reflect and engage the diverse communities of Minneapolis.
Position Summary and Schedule
The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition seeks a paid, full-time Outreach and Community Engagement Intern to support efforts on Bikeways for Everyone and other areas. The position is for 40 hours per week from late May to late August, depending on the ideal candidate’s schedule. The Outreach and Community Engagement Intern will work under the direct supervision of the Community Organizer and collaborate with other staff and volunteers.
Responsibilities of the Planning Intern include
Responsibilities / Activities
- Engage potential supporters at Bikeways for Everyone, Open Streets, and Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition events
- Research and coordinate Coalition presence at neighborhood and larger community events
- Engage with communities around Open Streets, attending meetings and participating in planning conversations
- Prepare materials based on each event’s engagement strategy
- Make and maintain partnerships with businesses, organizations and other groups to increase coalition presence in the broader community, and grow our network of bicycle advocates
- Train and manage new Bikeways for Everyone outreach volunteers
- Follow up with new supporters, volunteers and partners after events
- Set and meet outreach goals
Schedule and Commitment
June - August
50-60% attendance tabling/outreach events and attending Open Streets planning meetings;
10-20% office time and check in with staff;
10-20% setting up outreach events;
10% monthly Bikeways for Everyone strategic meetings
*Schedule will include occasional evenings and nights.
- Receive class credit or $8/ hr. rate
- Gain advocacy and community organizing experience
- Network and collaborate with staff, community stakeholders, and other professionals
- Learn meeting facilitation skills
-Work with a fun and a successful advocacy organization!
- Enjoys meeting and talking with many people; is positive and outgoing
- Able to be on time and work outside of normal 9-5 business hours (maximum 40 hrs/ wk)
- Utilizes prompt and professional communication skills
- Interested in bikes, urban planning, advocacy, transportation, health, and/or the environment
Send your Resume, a brief description of why you are interested and qualified for the position to Laura Kling at [email protected] by May 22nd.
Be the first to comment
Sign in withFacebook Twitter