Our Streets Minneapolis is hiring an Advocacy and Engagement Director. Join our great team working to make Minneapolis streets great for everyone! The application deadline is July 30.
Advocacy and Engagement Director position
Summary of Position
The Advocacy and Engagement Director leads work to engage people and policy makers around bicycle and walking improvements in Minneapolis and related equity policy work. Work includes community outreach and education efforts, engaging volunteers, and supporting related communications and events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- oversee community outreach and education efforts around walking and biking improvements, including tabling events, engaging with diverse community groups, door knocking, presentations at public meetings, coordinating with partner organizations, and other activities as appropriate;
- manage staff working on outreach and organizing;
- work with volunteer coordination staff to coordinate, support, train, recruit, and recognize volunteers;
- work with Executive Director to define and implement strategy and work planning for advocacy priorities;
- support communications efforts, including writing web content and email alerts;
- support development activities through grants and promoting individual giving;
- support planning and coordinating for strategic events and rides;
- stay informed of basic research around biking and walking infrastructure, Minneapolis walking and biking opportunities, and community engagement best practices; and
- perform administrative and clerical tasks as needed.
Experience and Qualifications
- At least four years experience in policy advocacy, organizing, or related;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Experience working on policy advocacy and an understanding of local advocacy work;
- Comfort managing staff and interns;
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities;
- Great people skills and an ability to have fun with work;
- Ability to work with volunteers;
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through with tasks;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to network, build trust, and build working relationships with diverse groups;
- Proficient computer skills including social networking sites, word processing, and database software;
- A strong desire to make Minneapolis more walk and bike-friendly; and
- A strong understanding of social justice and racial equity issues and commitment to supporting change to advance equity
- Experience supervising staff;
- Experience working in coalitions with partner groups;
- Knowledge of Minneapolis and connections to organizations and communities in Minneapolis;
- Knowledge of the economic, health, safety, social, and environmental benefits of walking and bicycling and basic knowledge of how to improve bicycling and walking;
- Experience with grant seeking and membership recruitment; and
- Skilled with Google Apps.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $44,000-$56,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits package includes generous and flexible paid time off, health insurance, and retirement.
Our Streets Minneapolis offers a flexible schedule, but this position does require frequent work on nights and weekends.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please no phone calls.