Our Streets Minneapolis is hiring for a community canvasser. A quality candidate is passionate about our work to create a city where biking, walking, and rolling are easy and comfortable for everyone. Canvassers will work closely with the Community Engagement Specialist and Advocacy Director to engage with the communities most impacted by the various projects Our Streets Minneapolis is championing. This position will do direct contact through door knocks and phone banks, introducing people to our campaigns, engaging with them on issues that are important to them, and receiving and reporting on their feedback on each project. Read the full job description below.
About Our Streets Minneapolis
Our Streets Minneapolis envisions a city where biking, walking, and rolling are equitable, easy, and joyful for people of all backgrounds and identities in all parts of Minneapolis. Our work is rooted in anti-oppression and creating spaces that support and welcome all identities, meaning all genders, races, religions, abilities, orientations, etc. We work to prioritize the voices of people and communities historically left out of the transportation decision-making process.
Our Streets Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer with a focus on creating safer spaces for our employees. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, people with disabilities, transgender people, nonbinary people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the position
Canvassers with Our Streets Minneapolis will work closely with the Community Engagement Specialist, Advocacy and Policy Manager, and Advocacy Coordinator to engage with the communities most impacted by the various projects Our Streets Minneapolis is championing. This position will do direct contact through door knocks and phone banks, introducing people to our campaigns, engaging with them on issues that are important to them, and receiving and reporting on their feedback on each project.
Key areas of focus:
- Building communities where people can ride transit, walk, bike, or roll freely and safely
- Community Health
- Universal design and access for people with disabilities
- Expanding access to opportunities for work and play to all communities
- Direct community engagement through door knocking, phone banking, or community events
- Training and supporting volunteer canvassers
- Data collection, entry and reporting
- Collaboration with canvassing peers during shifts and on projects
- Monitoring and reporting on literature inventory
- Participating in Our Streets events as a support staff or to share information on the canvassing program
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in languages other than English
Canvasser positions are part-time, non-exempt positions. Pay begins at $27.58/hour. Additional benefits include health insurance stipend.
This position involves working outdoors in varying weather conditions throughout the year. Applicants should have the following:
- Ability to transport themselves to and from canvassing locations across Minneapolis and St Paul
- Ability to walk or roll moderate distances on city sidewalks
- Ability to sit or stand outside for up to four hours at community events in all weather conditions
- Completely flexible schedule
- Healthcare stipend
- Paid commute and transit reimbursement
How to apply
Please send a resume and brief explanation of your interest in the role to [email protected]. Your resume should include any relevant paid or unpaid experience as well as education and skills.