Opportunity to join the Board of Directors for Our Streets Minneapolis
Our Streets Minneapolis is looking for community members who are interested in joining our Board of Directors! Joining the Board is a great way to connect to other civic-minded people who care about making Minneapolis a more comfortable place to bike, walk, and roll.
What does it mean to be an Our Streets Minneapolis Board member?
The Our Streets Minneapolis Board of Directors makes sure that the actions of the organization further our mission, and works to maintain public trust and accountability. Major responsibilities include developing and monitoring progress on the organization’s strategic plan, providing financial leadership and oversight for the organization, and hiring, managing, and evaluating the Executive Director. This short video provides an overview of what it means to be a board member for a non-profit.
Board members are volunteers who are expected to be meaningfully engaged in the organization, and can expect to spend an average of 3-5 hours per month on board service activities. Board members make decisions and perform tasks in the best interest of the organization and in alignment with our mission, vision, and core values. The following are expectations for how board members support the organization:
- Attend a board orientation in January;
- Attend bimonthly Board meetings and review related materials prior to the meetings.;
- Actively participate in at least one committee or work group beyond the Board meetings, including being responsible for needed work between meetings;
- Make a financial contribution that is personally significant and support Our Streets Minneapolis fundraising in some way;
- Support development and monitoring progress of the strategic plan;
- Support key initiatives as appropriate, such as our County Streets for People campaign or Open Streets Minneapolis events; and
- Offer personal outreach as appropriate to stakeholders and generally further the reputation of the organization. (This could include things like sharing our social media posts, joining a meeting with a funder or an elected official, representing the organization at an event, helping the organization connect with someone in your network, etc.)
Our board meets the first Tuesday of every other month from 6 to 8 p.m. All meetings are being held remotely via Google Meet (virtual with call-in option) during the COVID-19 pandemic. Board members serve two-year terms, with an option for a one-year term if requested while applying. Terms begin on January 1, 2022 and end December 31, 2023, with the option for renewal.
How do I know if I’m a good fit?
Our board members are people who have a positive passion for bicycling, walking, and rolling in Minneapolis and are ready and willing to get to work! Enthusiasm for our mission is the most important part of being a board member! Many of our board members are active advocates and volunteers within and outside the organization, and we encourage them to bring this perspective to the important work of organizational governance. However, board service itself does not provide direct opportunities for advocacy. If you are interested in advocacy, please consider joining one of our volunteer groups!
Our Streets actively works to maintain a diversity of skills, experiences, and perspectives, and to create spaces where people who experience race-based, gender-based, ability-based, or class-based oppression can participate fully. Our Streets board and staff follow a safer spaces policy. Our Streets reserves half of its maximum board seats for BIPOC (people who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color). We also recognize that people’s identities shape the way they experience walking, rolling, and biking, and prioritize space for trans and nonbinary people; people with disabilities; immigrants; and people without access to wealth.
Any and all people with passion for our work are encouraged to apply! We also seek people who bring the following skills:
- Connection with their neighborhood, especially residents of Northeast and North Minneapolis
- Nonprofit and board experience
- Human resources/personnel experience
- Experience in finance, accounting, or fundraising
- Interest in serving in a leadership role on the Board, as an Officer or helping lead short-term subcommittees. Officer positions include President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
How do I apply?
To express interest, please respond to the following questions by sending up to one page or a video or voice message (up to 3 min long) to Abigail Johnson, Board president, at [email protected]:
- Why are you interested in serving on the Board?
- Why is our mission of advancing biking, walking, and rolling in Minneapolis important to you?
- What would you like to learn or gain from your service?
- What areas of expertise and experiences would you bring to the Board?
Deadline to express interest: Friday, October 15, 2021.
Process: A Nominations Committee of the Board will review responses, interview candidates, and make a recommendation to the full Board to consider at the December Our Streets Minneapolis Board meeting. All candidates will receive final word in mid-December.
If you have any questions, please contact Abigail at [email protected]. Thank you for your interest!